White Chocolate Holiday Hash
I developed this recipe with leftovers from one holiday season. Delicious combination especially when you crave salt and sweet at the same time. Easy to make and significantly cheaper than any store-bought version!
- 2 12-ounce bags of white chocolate chips
- 5 ounces candy canes, Starlight mints, or one 5 ounces stick
- 4 ounces of small pretzels or pretzel sticks
- 4 ounces semi-sweet dark chocolate chips, optional
- Place unwrapped candy canes (large stick is easiest to use) in a plastic bag and pound lightly with a rolling pin to break into small pieces. Some of the candy will be pulverized, that’s OK. You should have about 1 cup. Set aside.
- Place pretzels in a plastic bag and lightly pound with a rolling pin until you have very small pieces. You should have about 1 ½ cups. Set aside.
- Place the white chips in a large glass bowl and microwave at 70% for two minutes.
- Gently stir the chips with a rubber spatula until a few lumps remain.
- Return bowl to the microwave and microwave contents at 50% for 1 minute. Stir gently until smooth.
- Reserving 2 Tablespoons of crushed candy, add the remaining candy and all of the pretzel mixture to the white chocolate. Fold ingredients together until well combined.
- Cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper or foil and then spread the hash with the back of the spatula until it is about 1/8- ¼ inch thick.
- Sprinkle reserved crushed candy over top and then refrigerate until firm. Break into pieces and serve or wrap for gifts.
- May be stored at room temperature.